World Water Day is an annual UN observance day that celebrated on 22nd March every year. Which highlights the importance of freshwater. The day is used to advocate for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.
The theme of each day focuses on topics relevant to clean water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), which is in line with the targets of Sustainable Development Goal 6. The UN World Water Development Report (WWDR) is released each year around World Water Day.
World Water Day is celebrated around the world with a variety of events. These can be theatrical, musical or lobbying in nature. The day can also include campaigns to raise money for water projects. The first World Water Day, designated by the United Nations, was in 1993.
Theme of World Water Day 2020
World Water Day 2020 is about water and climate changed. The theme highlights the urgent importance of strengthening water security and establishing access to a sustainable water supply in the face of changing climate conditions worldwide.
According to the UN organisation, “World Water Day 2020 is about water and climate change – and how the two are inextricably linked. The campaign shows how our use of water will help reduce floods, droughts, scarcity and pollution, and will help fight climate change itself.
Quotes on World Water Day
- Every drop in the ocean counts. – Yoko Ono
- We never know the worth of water till the well is dry. – Thomas Fuller
- The deeper the waters are, the more still they run. – Korean Proverb
- A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure. – Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
- In the world, there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. – Lao Tzu
- Thousands have lived without love, not one without water. – W.H. Auden
- A river seems a magic thing. Magic, moving, living part of the very earth itself. – Laura Gilpin
- Water, water, everywhere, and all the boards did shrink; Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink. – Coleridge
- When the well is dry, we learn the worth of water.” -Benjamin Franklin
- Every human should have the idea of taking care of the environment, of nature, of water. So using too much or wasting water should have some kind of feeling or sense of concern. Some sort of responsibility and with that, a sense of discipline. – Dalai Lama
- Water is the one substance from which the earth can conceal nothing, it sucks out its innermost secrets and brings them to our very lips.” – Jean Giraudoux
- Water is life’s matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water.” – Albert Szent